Playasol, Puerto Morelos, Mexico (December 2015)
Puerto Morelos sits a mere 20 miles from Cancun and Playa del Carmen in Quintana Roo, and is a hidden treasure on the Yucatan Peninsula. This quiet little fishing village continues to grow in popularity due to its quiet nature, beautiful beaches, and proximity to popular tourist attractions.
I went in December 2015 for what I describe as a “partial-solo” vacation. Two weeks in total, with the first half spent by myself, celebrating my 50th birthday. I was then joined by my two teenage children for the last half of the trip, and we flew home together. With low airfares and reasonable rates on a condo, this Mexican vacation was a perfect respite from the snowy and cold Minnesota winter.
Here are some of the highlights and recommendations if you go!
1. Eat at El Nicho. This is THEE spot for great breakfasts. Located right in the center of town, this cute little restaurant offers traditional Mexican fare as well as fruit and granola, sure to please the palette of any traveler. Vegan options are also available. To learn more, visit http://www.elnicho.com.mx/about-us.html.
2. Swim in a Cenote. Pronounced, “Seh-No-Tay.” This has been one of my all-time favorite experiences. Having traveled to Mexico on multiple occasions, I had never heard of this intriguing natural pit, buried in the ground. Also known as a sinkhole, it is basically a pool underground, with limestone walls all around you. Be careful walking down the steps, but once you enter the pool, it is a religious experience. Enjoy!
3. Visit the ruins in Tulum. My kids and I did this tour together, purchasing directly from a vendor in the square of Puerto Morelos. What a great trip. Millions of visitors each year can’t be wrong.
4. Shop at the local flea market in the town square. Prices might be inflated, but you'll feel good knowing you are helping the local economy. :)
5. Watch one of the evening performances, also located in the square. This is not a big city! I didn’t rent a car and felt safe walking in and out of town, day and night-time, from my beachfront condo.
To learn more about Puerto Morelos, visit https://www.hotels.com/go/mexico/puerto-morelos-travel-kit.